1/48 Lockheed® P-38®J Lightning®
Our legendary 1/48 Aircraft Series welcomes a new addition in the form of the J variant of the Lockheed P-38
Lightning! The Lockheed P-38 Lightning was an American twin engine fighter aircraft produced by Lockheed;
it was the first Lockheed fighter aircraft which was officially adopted into service. The P-38s variants were used
during World War II and they reached about 10,000s production. Equipped with intercoolers under engines,
the P-38J Lightning showed 1,450hp at high altitude and maximum 1,600hp, plus longer range courtesy of
fuel tanks in wingtip leading edges in addition to the main fuel tank. As a result, the P-38J offered stable and
astonishing performance at any altitudes, and gained great renown among American fighter aircraft.
About the Model:
- This is a 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 240mm, width: 330mm.
- The unique form (twin-engine, twin-tailplane) with radiator fairing and larger engine cowlings of the P-38J (late P-38) is accurately captured in style.
- Features realistic renderings of air ducts connecting intercoolers to oil coolers.
- New-shape turbo superchargers are also realistically depicted.
- The first canopy with the flat front glass and 2-part third canopy are authentically recreated.
- The second canopy can be depicted open or closed. A 1-part slide-molded piece succinctly and realistically depicts closed canopy, and the three parts including vertically openable upper hatch recreates the opened.
- New parts are added to depict wingtip leading edges which have detailed refueling ports.
- The steering wheel is replaced by a gun-grip type stick.
- A detailed cockpit features separate side walls with the throttle box and radio while the Lynn-3 gunsight, radio at the back of cockpit and more are also depicted.
- Nose landing gear has updated fork and main landing gear has reinforced upper rotating struts.
- The spar part (combined with the nose landing gear bay) is inserted into wing, which ensures an accurate dihedral angle.
- Contains parts to recreate two each of 150- and 300-gallon drop tanks.
- Weights for nose and right, left engine cowlings are included in the kit to ensure correct balance of the model when displayed.
- Comes with three marking options, including the Marge" P-38J which the US ace pilot, Richard Ira Bong flew.
- Comes with canopy masking stickers and a full-color painting guide.