Tamiya, 84399, RC Porsche 911 GT2 Racing - TA02SW
not available anymore
Introduced in 1995, two years after the 993 911 had been launched, this sports car was based on the 911 Turbo and built to GT2 class regulations, with Porsche naming it accordingly.
Although heavily based on the 911 Turbo, the GT2 looked quite radical for the mid-1990s. It was, after all, a road-legal race car! The 911 Turbo was already menacing by appearance, but the GT2 took things up a notch by means of a more aggressive front bumper with side canards, widened fenders, and a massive rear wing with air scoops in the struts. New, wider wheels were also crafted for the GT2 and shod in fatter tires. The ride height was also dropped, taking the GT2 closer to the ground compared to other 993-gen 911s.
The aerodynamic modifications brought dramatic improvements on the performance front, enabling the GT2 to charge from 0 to 60 mph in under four seconds and reach a top speed of 187 mph, quite a benchmark for 1995.
The GT2's wider fenders were made from lightweight fiberglass to help the sports car lose more weight. Porsche actually cut the Turbo's normal fenders and replaced them with bolt-on plastic pieces. The strategy not only helped ease the repair of damaged to the fenders, but also gave the road-going version a distinct racy appearance.
The Tamiya RC car brings this street legal race car back to hobbyists' hands. It comes back on the chassis platform that enjoyed immense popularity in the early touring car days of R/C, the TA-02. The Porsche 911 GT2 is specifically mounted on a TA-02 variant. Known as the TA- 02SW, this version exhibited a short-wheelbase and has wider track to accommodate the scale form of the real sports car. It features a tub chassis with 4-wheel, fully independent suspension coupled with a rear ball differential and a front gear type differential.
- Type Detail
- Scale 1/10
- Construction type Assembly kit
- Terrain use On-Road
- Drive-train 4WD
- Drive type Gearbox
- Drive line Dog bone
- Differential type Ball diff rear/gear diff front
- Suspension Fully independent double wishbone
- Steering mechanism Bell-crank
- Shock damper Oil-filled damper
- Shock damper material Plastic
- Tire type Rubber
- Tire tread Slick
- Body material Polycarbonate
- Chassis material Plastic
- Electronic Speed Control (ESC) Included
- ESC model TBLE-02S
- LED Light buckets No
- LED lights No
- Motor 540-brushed type
- Bearings Shielded ball bearing
- Adjustable camber Fixed
- Adjustable toe angles Front only
- Adjustable ground clearance Yes
- Adjustable gear ratio Yes
- Adjustable wheelbase Fixed
- Adjustable track width Fixed
- Adjustable shock angle Fixed
- Special feature 1 The classic, glamorous form of the 911 GT2 racing is recreated accurately in polycarbonate, including depictions of the bolt-on over fenders.
- Special feature 2 Separate parts are included to recreate the rear wing/engine hood unit, plus door mirrors.
- Special feature 3 236mm wheelbase and wide tread setup; similar to that so often employed by Porsche.
- Special feature 4 4-wheel double wishbone suspension is fitted with CVA oil dampers.
- Special feature 5 Enclosed front and rear gear cases have built-in diff gears. The rear is fitted with a ball differential.
- Special feature 6 Comes with 2-piece wheels, tires and inner tire inserts. The rear of the model uses wide wheels.
- Requires A 2-channel radio gear
- Requires B 7.2 battery & charger
- Requires C Polycarbonate paint
Tamiya nummer: 84399