Dragon 6439 1/35 Heuschrecke IVb "Grasshopper"
- Converted 10.5cm leFH18 gun plus StuH 42 gun mount specially designed for Grasshopper are carefully reproduced
- Turret has exquisite interior detail
- Turret realistically designed to allow movement 360° traverse, gun elevation & depression or can be dismounted as a field gun
- Turret mounting-pad can be installed on vehicle or emplaced on ground with turret
- Wheels for turret mounting-pad have assembly option mounted on pad or on rear of vehicle
- Lifting gantry for dismounting turret is a fully movable design
- Fighting compartment interior represented in detail ammo rack, gunpowder storage
- Battery in fighting compartment can be represented with door closed
- Includes Gen2 equipment for interior
- Upper hull rendered in fine detail
- Brand new extended chassis with precise dimensions
- Lower hull is slide molded with authentic details
- Exhaust pipe delicately recreated
- Left and right sprocket wheels are different to mimic this feature on real vehicle
- Sprocket wheels w/multiple delicate parts
- Road wheels and suspension are finely detailed
- 40cm Magic Tracks
- Idler wheels w/detailed parts
- Securing spikes for dismounted turret are slide molded
- Bonus ammunition included
- New Cartograf Decal
About the Heuschrecke Ivb "Grasshopper"
Heuschrecke (translated as Grasshopper) might be a mouthful for some, but its certainly more concise than 10.5cm leFH18/1 L/28 auf Waffenträger GW IVb! This lengthy nomenclature refers to a special self-propelled howitzer based on the chassis of the ubiquitous Panzer IV tank. It featured a 10.5cm gun mounted in a turret with 360º traverse. However, this Grasshopper had a special ability up its sleeve. The vehicle had a lifting gantry installed on the superstructure rear that could remove the turret and emplace it on the ground. Alternatively the turret could be placed on a wheeled carriage and towed behind the vehicle. This then allowed the Grasshopper to act as an ammunition carrier. This was a novel idea but it didnt really catch on for obvious reasons, with just three prototypes built in 1943.
About this kit
Though the Heuschrecke 10 remained an experimental vehicle built by Krupp, Dragon has broadened its appeal by releasing it as a mainstream 1/35 scale kit. Whether with turret installed, or emplaced, or towed behind, this makes a visually attractive subject, and is one sure to raise any viewers curiosity. To create a vehicle this unique, a whole host of new parts were molded by Dragon for instance, the turret, gun and chassis are brand new. As is necessary in an open-topped vehicle, the turret interior is fully fitted out, as is the fighting compartment in the hull. This model operates just like the original prototypes, with the lifting gantry being moveable and the turret able to be carried on the purpose-built carriage. The Grasshopper was based on the hull designed for the Hummel, so Dragons model accurately reflects the lengthened chassis. Grasshoppers have never been so versatile or interesting, and until now, they have been impossible for modelers to replicate in 1/35 scale!